TITLE: TITLE: Preschool Camp Counselor
The Preschool Camp Counselor is responsible for assisting in supervising and implementing day-to-day Preschool Camp and 2’s and 3’s Just for Me activities. The Preschool Camp Counselor is a seasonal employee, working between 12-18 hours a week dependent on program enrollment. This position requires you to be on your feet and able to lift approximately 30 lbs.
The Preschool Camp Counselor should have a background in camp settings, youth programming and has or is striving for a bachelor’s degree in education, physical education, health or a similar area. One year of experience working in a camp setting is preferred.
The Preschool Camp Counselor is under the supervision of the Recreation Supervisor.
- Attend mandatory staff orientation and trainings.
- Instruct assigned camp programs competently and reliably.
- Develop and maintain effective public relations/communications with co-workers, campers and parents.
- Plan, implement and lead various activities.
- Clean and maintain program area as necessary.
- Assist in evaluating assigned programs and make recommendations for improvement.
- Supervise campers during the camp day in and outside of the classroom.
- Ensure the safety and wellbeing of all campers.
- Attend meetings as required.
- Work independently.
- Provide a positive and encouraging teamwork atmosphere.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND TRAITS:
- Ability to complete the essential functions of the position.
- Knowledge of children and children’s activities.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Willing to acquire First Aid and CPR training.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Maintain clean and safe camp environment.
- Walking up to one mile to camp activity destinations.
- Work well with all personalities.
The Preschool Camp Counselor may feel added pressure during pick up and drop off times as well as on field trips. The Preschool Camp Counselor needs to remain calm in all situations. The Camp Counselor must be a good problem solver and be able to work in a fast pace environment.
The Preschool Camp Counselor must be able to bend, stoop lift items weighing up to 30 pounds, turn, sit and stand for short or extended periods of time.
Indoor work conditions will include lighting, temperature and noise. Outside conditions will include extreme temperature, sunlight and precipitation.
The Preschool Camp Counselor must exhibit good problem solving ability and good judgment in keeping with the mission of the Park District.
The Preschool Camp Counselor must be in compliance with the loss prevention and safety policies of the Park District.
Contact: Mike Gianatasio, Superintendent of Recreation, email@example.com