TITLE: Preschool Lead Teacher
SALARY: $16 per hour
SUMMARY: Under the direct supervision of the Recreation Supervisor, the Preschool Lead Teacher will create a nurturing environment that fosters social, emotional, and cognitive development for each student. The Preschool Lead Teacher will be responsible for the lesson planning, curriculum implementation and safety of the 2’s and 3’s Just for Me Preschool. They will provide quality customer service to the families, park patrons and Park District staff. The Preschool Lead Teacher is a seasonal employee working roughly 6-8 hours per week during the months of September-May. The 2’s and 3’s Just for Me Preschool runs Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30-11:30am.
The Preschool Lead Teacher should have experience working with children, a background in youth or early childhood programming. Applicant should possess strong leadership skills, enthusiasm, and the ability to work cooperatively with others. Two or more years of experience is ideal.
1. Develop, implement, and lead lessons/activities that promote age-appropriate growth.
2. Manage classroom behaviors and transitions through redirection.
3. Adapt teaching methods, schedule, and environment to meet varying needs, interests and learning styles.
4. Maintain accurate daily attendance records and enforce all sign in and sign out procedures.
5. Communicate with parents and supervisor regularly via email, phone, in-person, through monthly calendar distribution and school displays.
6. Observe, evaluate, and document student growth through personal portfolios and individual assessments.
7. Develop evaluation tools to be used in the preschool classes.
8. Organize progress evaluations once a session for children to take home.
9. Keep the classroom clean, neat and in functioning order.
10. Ensure that regular safety inspections/evacuation drills are performed and that all risk management practices follow Park District safety rules and procedures.
11. Be available Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00am-12:00pm for the duration of the school year.
12. Use and request program supplies and materials in a responsible manner.
13. Ensure the safety and wellbeing of all students.
14. Provide guidance and leadership to the Early Childhood Assistant.
15. Participate in meetings, and planning sessions.
16. Perform other duties as assigned
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND TRAITS:
1. Ability to complete the essential functions of the position.
2. Knowledge of children and children’s activities.
3. Ability to communicate with parents, staff supervisor and other Park District employees.
4. Ability to work well with all personalities.
5. Excellent leadership skills.
6. Willing to acquire First Aid and CPR training.
7. Ability to provide excellent customer service.
The Preschool Lead Teacher may feel added pressure from the day-to-day responsibilities while also assisting children and parents. The Preschool Lead Teacher must remain calm and be able to address problems and issues that arise. The Preschool Lead Teacher must be a good problem solver and able to develop creative responses to problems.
The Preschool Lead Teacher must be able to bend, stoop, lift items weighing up to 30 pounds, turn, sit, and stand for short or extended periods of time.
Indoor work conditions will include lighting, temperature, and noise. Outside conditions will include extreme temperature, sunlight, and precipitation.
The Preschool Lead Teacher must exhibit good problem-solving ability and good judgment in keeping with the mission of the Park District.
The Preschool Lead Teacher must be in compliance with the loss prevention and safety policies of the Park District.
The Oakbrook Terrace Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, send your resume and job application to Mary Swade, Recreation Supervisor: RecreationSupervisor@obtpd.org.